Sunday, June 17, 2012

You WILL get lost in Barcelona

But when you do you'll probably end up somewhere really cool because there is no shortage of amazing things to see and do. We definitely didn't give ourselves enough time to take in everything the city has to offer (but that's okay because we'll just have to go back). Also, I took approximately a billion pictures.

So here's the CliffsNotes version of our Barcelona trip. We stayed the first (and last) night in a hostel that was run by an old couple who didn't speak any English. The place felt very much like an old person's home (complete with knic knacs, loud snoring, a cat) and very little like a hostel. Definitely an interesting experience. The second night we spent at a hostel and because it took a little longer than normal to check us in we got free sangria! On our second night, Lizzie's sister, brother-in-law, and friends were incredibly generous and took us out for a dinner that came directly from the sea that day. This brought my carnivorous ways to a whole new level. I tore apart the bodies and legs of creatures, ripped off their heads and devoured their insides. I guess this is pretty normal for seafood but it felt especially brutal for me. After dinner we went to Bar Marsella, supposedly the oldest bar in Barcelona and a place where Dalí and Hemingway (amongst others) hung out. They also haven't changed a thing since then and every surface was covered in a thick coating of dust. The ceiling was peeling and cockroaches roamed across the ceiling. Very authentically historic I guess...

The two biggest excursions we took were to Parc Güell and the Dalí museum, both rather incredible experiences. Gaudi's architecture is magnificent beyond words, and pictures do it no justice, so basically what I'm saying is, book a flight to Barcelona. The Dalí museum was definitely the most fun art museum I've ever been to. Very good art mixed in with very weird stuff - pretty typical Dalí I suppose!

In our down time (of which we had very little) we puzzled over the Catalan language and played Count the Hipsters (final count: a lot).

2 comments:

  1. So, if you can see my face, it'll communicate pure enjoyment. I look at the pictures and read the passages and really do find myself speechless. Just smiling and feeling so wonderfully fantastic about your journey. About the wonderful places you're visiting. About the amazing experiences that have changed your life (you'll never be the same now), and about how happy I am that you're doing this. Thanks so much for sharing these special moments. The time you are taking to communicate what you're doing is very much appreciated. I can't wait until we see the rest of the pictures. Love you so! Daddio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing & Enchanting! I love, love, love reading your blog and looking at the pictures. You have a fantastic way of sharing the essence of what you are experiencing and it fills me with JOY!!! Thank you so much for including us on your adventures - it is truly magical!!!
    I love you and miss you XOXO :) Mom

    ReplyDelete