Thursday, May 31, 2012

All the lovely Liverpudlians!

One of my favorite things about being out here is the way people speak. Not just their delightful accents, but the fact that everything is "lovely" or "brilliant" (or "dodgy.") There are a few words and phrases that make me smile no matter how many times I have heard them said."Proper wonky" is a good one too.

After London we took a bus to Liverpool (whose inhabitants are referred to as Liverpudlians. Yes really). I realized a few things about myself and this trip:
1. I packed too much
2. I don't know why on earth I insisted on carrying everything on my back. I must always do things the hard way! It builds character I suppose...
3. It's difficult to meet up with someone when you have no phone and no way to contact them

We waited for over an hour before someone was kind enough to let us use their cellphone. We eventually met up with our host for the night and all turned out well. She took us around to explore Liverpool nightlife and we popped into a few different pubs with live music. One place had a sign behind the performer that said "Where there's tea there's hope." We stopped into the Cavern Pub for some fabulous people watching (inebriated older folk enthusiastically dancing to Beatles covers.) We also met some interesting characters on the streets...

1 comment:

  1. Remember the days where there were just land lines? How did we do it then? I guess at least we had a land line. And then we didn't run late either because we couldn't just text someone "running late" so there was no option to run late. We didn't even know we could.
    I would have packed too much too. Good to know the day I decide to go traveling.

    ReplyDelete